Sunday, November 20, 2016

Cake Slice Apple Cake


Time for the monthly Cake Slice Bakers cake. This month I went right to the Danish Apple Cake recipe. This is a simple cake, made with self-rising flour so making the batter is quicker, too, with slices of apple pushed down into the batter. Of course preparing the apples takes up the time that it would have taken to measure out regular flour, salt, leavening, etc, so it's a wash, timewise.


This cake reminds me a lot of one my Mom used to make for desserts, although she baked in in a regular cake pan, not a springform one. The apples make the cake moist and add just enough sweetness. If you use a tart apple like I did, there is also that tang and the combination is wonderful.


This cake is pretty enough for a nice dinner, but simple enough for an after school snack or mid-morning coffee break. I'll bet you find lots of reasons to make this beauty!


Danish Apple Cake
From World Class Cakes  by Roger Pizey

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened (I used non-dairy margarine)
2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 apples (I used Granny Smiths)
1/4 cup brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and line bottom of an 8-inch springform cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.

Peel, core, and cut the apples into 1/2-inch wedges. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined.

On low speed, beat in the sifted flour and mix until just combines. Fold in the golden raisins and then spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan. Arrange the prepared apple wedges neatly around the top of the cake, pushing them gently into the batter. Arrange evenly over the batter so that each slice will have some apple.

Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from the oven. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack in the pan, then remove the sides and, if not too delicate, remove the parchment. (I served mine with the parchment still attached and that worked fine, but it is not as nice a service as a cake without the parchment.)




Serves 6-8.

9 comments :

  1. I too love the simplicity of this cake, and the fact that it wasn't a huge cake since this time of the year there can be so many treats. Your cake looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very good cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a versatile cake! And perfect for this time of year. I am definitely going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake is delicious! My family enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very popular choice this month! I love how pretty the top of this cake is. It sounds like the perfect fall treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle, you are so right that this apple cake is suitable for any occasion! Deliciousness! This cake came to my rescue when my first choice did not turn out right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake sounds so delicious. I love cooked apples, plus the smell of cooking them. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apple cakes are one of my favourites, I can see why this proved so popular with the group. Looks lovely Elle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Elle.. look at that cake topping.. DROOL! looks so good!

    ReplyDelete